These Winter Beauty Tips Will Keep Your Skin Looking Its Best
While the change in season is welcome, it does come with a few caveats to the health of your skin and hair. Dryness, chapped skin, and brittle hair are all concerns that should be on your mind! With the right knowledge, you can retain healthy skin and hair all year long.
Keep Your Skin Moisturized
Out of all the winter beauty tips out there, this one simple task is the most important: keep your skin moisturized! Remember that winter brings far less moisture inherent in the air—this means that your normal go-to moisturizer will likely not cut it. Consider upgrading with these winter beauty tips regarding wintertime skin moisturization:
- Avoid water-based moisturizers – If your skin type permits, non-greasy, lightweight oil-based moisturizers tend to have great results. For more oily skin, a high-quality cream or wax-based option can do wonders as well.
- Consider a milder soap – While exfoliating and deep-moisturization can be a huge help at any time of the year, you will want to reserve this activity for during a professional facial or weekly skincare treatment. Use more mild soaps in the winter so that you don’t strip your skin.
- Turn down the heat in your shower or bath – A hot shower might sound wonderful, but it can do serious damage to your skin and hair—especially when dry winter air is causing damage already.
Pay Attention to Your Diet
Once you’ve got things under control in regards to how the season affects your skin and hair, consider what you can put in that can keep your skin and hair healthy. Your diet plays a major role among winter beauty tips, so consider these additions:
- Drink plenty of water – A staple in any set of winter beauty tips, and for good reason. Keeping hydrated manages blood flow and helps to keep your skin supple, moist, and wrinkle-free.
Your body has enough stress to deal with without lacking water, so be sure to consume a minimum of 2 liters of water a day. Adjust accordingly for exercise!
- More vitamin C – Great for keeping colds at bay, and even better for facilitating collagen production. Citrus fruits and dark green vegetables are great sources.
- Vitamin A (beta-carotene) – Vitamin A regulates skin cell production, keeping your skin smooth and healthy. Easily found in abundance in sweet potatoes, squash, dark green veggies, and cantaloupe.
Also important to include in your winter beauty tips: avoid consuming excessive amounts of processed sugar. Candies, dried fruits, granola, foods that advertise as a “low fat” variation of the original—these should be avoided. Processed sugars are linked to an increase in skin inflammation.
Pro Winter Beauty Tips: Select A Professional Skincare Routine
If you want your skin to absolutely glow in the winter, now is the best time to enlist the expertise of a licensed esthetician. Not only do estheticians have access to top quality moisturizers and products, but they can also set you up with an absolutely luxurious facial routine that will keep your skin looking its best regardless of the season.
More Winter Beauty Tips from Beautiful Skin in Clearwater, FL
If you’re looking for more winter beauty tips, or you want to connect with a skin and hair health specialist near you in Clearwater, contact Beautiful Skin! You can send us a message online, or call (727) 791-6500 to set up an appointment!